Monday, August 1, 2011

Flea Market, Pickers, Chalk Paint, Mirrors and More

The Briarwood Flea Market was lots of fun and Briarwood does a great job putting this on. Here are a few pics from my booth!






I didn't have much time to shop but I did luck up on this great mirror at the end
and painted a layer of white and gray and distressed. It will be going in my booth at Encore!



An antique dealer friend of mine had told me to be sure and go meet the Guthridge's who have a booth there each year. They are true pickers who travel cross country looking for great finds. They were telling me that they love Brimfield which is a huge antiques show in Massachussetts. They rent a storage unit there and take their truck or trailer and fill up at the show and go unload and keep doing that! I signed up to be on their email list - they have a sale out of their home coming up in September after their next picking trip so I hope to go and maybe get some great pieces!

Here are a few pieces I recently "picked" for some dealers in town (except for the screen, I just painted it for the dealer):








I saw Stacey at the Briarwood Flea Market who sells the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint out of her studio, Faux Studio Designs, in Hoover. She was telling me she just went to IDAL in Virginia and got to meet Annie Sloan for the first time and spend several days with her (Annie Sloan is from Oxford, England). They have just put out 2 new colors, French Linen and Coco. She also said she will soon be carrying sample pots so you can try out colors to see what you like! Here is a picture from their website of French Linen, a khaki grey.



I also ran into a customer at the flea market that I got to know from my shop, Jeanine, who was telling me that her daughter at Auburn is looking for a full-length mirror. The house she shares with roommates is short on closets so they are taking an extra room and turning it into a huge closet/dressing room with clothes racks for all of them so they wanted a full length mirror and ottomon. I was telling Jeanine an idea I had for a full length mirror so we are going to work on that together and I will post pictures when it's done! I may start selling some of those.

1 comment:

  1. My girlfriend Sharon and I were in Birmingham on Saturday and went to Encore....LOVED IT! Though for the life of me I could not figure out which booth was yours!!! And then you were at the Briarwood Flea Market thingy and we didn't know about it!! UGH!! We went to Stacey's place and bought chalk paint though!

    Sorry we missed you!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete

Etsy Page

Flickr Page

www.flickr.com
thefrenchfleashop's items Go to thefrenchfleashop's photostream

Followers

About Me

My photo
The French Flea is a Birmingham, AL based business specializing in selling painted and distressed furniture, rustic home decor and more. It reflects a love of anything french, rustic, shabby, chippy paint, distressed! We currently have a booth at Greystone Antiques on Hwy. 280 in Hoover and The Blue Building in Alabaster. We also offer custom furniture painting and will be your "picker" or personal shopper and look for pieces you are in search of! To contact The French Flea, call Karen at 721-0578 or email kbush422@gmail.com!