Monday, July 18, 2011

Chalk Paint Class at Faux Studio Designs!


I went on Saturday to Faux Studio Designs in Hoover and took the Annie Sloan chalk paint class. I almost cancelled because I had a terrible breakout of poison ivy but I'm so glad I went! There were 8 of us in the class and Stacey, the owner of Faux Studio Designs and our teacher, was great because we had so many questions! We got lots of hands-on experience with stenciling, learning how to do a crackle finish, layering colors, distressing, and using the clear and dark waxes! We all left with a lamp base, picture frame and moulding piece which she provided.

Once you start using this paint, it's really hard to go back to old paints. It is a little bit more expensive but it goes a long way and one of the girls in the class said that she actually dilutes hers with water which makes it go even further. The great thing about chalk paint is that you can put it on almost any surface and do not even have to sand or prime or anything which is a great timesaver! And I love using the waxes. They have a clear wax and a dark wax and if you use the dark wax, you have to apply the clear first but the dark wax gives you this great aged patina look with a little sheen.

Here are some pictures from the class. Her next class is July 30th. If you are interested in attending a class, Stacey's phone number is 982-4464 and her studio is at 2116B Old Montgomery Highway in Pelham!







1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to meet you at the class. :) I have enjoyed visiting your blog and look forward to keeping up with it. I've been busy painting several things I've accumulated in trying to get ready for a shop of my own. I'm waiting for a booth space at a local antique mall in Meridian. In the meantime, I'm working hard this week to set up a booth at a small flea market! My mom and I went to Goodwill @ Greensprings & Oxmoor and scored! I got a halltree $10 and a couple of $5 lamps. :D I'll be putting pictures on my blog soon! shechosethebetterpart.blogspot.com
    Take Care! Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete

Etsy Page

Flickr Page

www.flickr.com
thefrenchfleashop's items Go to thefrenchfleashop's photostream

Followers

About Me

My photo
The French Flea is a Birmingham, AL based business specializing in selling painted and distressed furniture, rustic home decor and more. It reflects a love of anything french, rustic, shabby, chippy paint, distressed! We currently have a booth at Greystone Antiques on Hwy. 280 in Hoover and The Blue Building in Alabaster. We also offer custom furniture painting and will be your "picker" or personal shopper and look for pieces you are in search of! To contact The French Flea, call Karen at 721-0578 or email kbush422@gmail.com!